Thursday, April 25, 2013

Interview With Author Jessica Ingro

I am so excited and honored to bring you guys Jessica Ingro's first official interview! Get to know her a little bit better, and don't forget her book, Love Square, is coming out this July! Hope you enjoy!


What made you decide to start writing?
I’d been toying with the idea for a while, but after watching a television interview with Colleen Hoover, I thought to myself, “Why not me?” That night I sat down and outlined Love Square. I decided if I didn’t at least try, I’d never know if people would like it or if I could be successful at writing.
Where do you get the inspiration for stories and characters?
I’ve always had “people” talking in my head. Strange, I know. It’s as if I’m watching a television show play out sometimes. The story behind Love Square had been popping up for the last few years and the characters formed through those interactions.  
What is your writing process like?
I like to write scenes as they pop into my head. Once the story is a little more formed, I try to work from beginning to end. Every now and then, a character demands his or her time and I have to skip around to give them what they want.
Which character of yours is your favorite and why?
Hmmm… that’s a hard one to answer! It’s like asking me to pick my favorite kid! LOL! I like them all for different reasons: Sam because she goes through a journey of discovery to find her true self, Aiden because he’s a fighter, Brooke because she says it like it is and of course Jacob because he is a lover.
Do you have a specific writing style?
I’m not sure. Right now I fall into the contemporary romance category, but I would love to explore stories with a hint of mystery/suspense or even ones that are complete mind fucks.
Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Happiness comes from within – you can’t expect others to deliver it to you. If life isn’t what you want it to be, make it something better!
Who are your favorite authors?
I have so many. But I think Kristen Ashley and Lorelei James are top of that list. I can honestly say I’ve read most of their books multiple times and still keep going back for more!
What books have most influenced your life most?
I don’t know if any specific book has influenced me, but rather a collection of books. I’ve been gravitating towards books that make you stop and think. The ones that open your eyes to situations you might not have known much about or that they existed. I like to be entertained, but also to feel like I’ve learned something in the process.
What book are you reading now?
Losing Me, Finding You by C.M. Stunich
Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
I recently met a new author on Facebook, Belle Aurora. Her debut novel, Friend-Zoned was hysterical! I’m looking forward to the rest of that series!
Who designs your book covers?
For Love Square, I used Arijana with Cover It! Designs. She is a gem to work with and very talented!
What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Keeping myself on task. If there is a computer in front of me, I’m usually jumping between a million different screens doing everything but what I originally sat down to do!
What was your favorite part of your book(s)?
I’d have to say it is the one part of the story written in Aiden’s POV! I don’t want to give anything away, but there is a major plot twist where he is concerned! Even I didn’t it see it coming!
Is there anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?
I did try to lace bits and pieces of myself into the book, like Sam’s obsession with former Boston Red Sox Catcher – Jason Varitek. Otherwise, the story is a work of fiction.
How do you come up with the titles for your books?
I had been batting around title ideas with some girlfriends for a while. There were a couple contenders but it felt like they weren’t original. One night, I went home complaining about it and my husband asked me what the story was about. I told him it was a love triangle turned into a square. He said, “There’s your title.” And that was how Love Square came to be!
What do you like to do when you are not writing?
I love to read! Last year I set a goal of 365 books in 365 days and I surpassed it. Some might say it’s an unhealthy obsession but I don’t agree!
If you could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
Karen Carpenter. I’ve been in love with her since I was a little girl. She was one of the first great female drummers, proving you can do anything you set your mind to. She also had a voice like an angel!
Do you have any upcoming projects?
I do have a certain gentleman, named Ben, in my head that keeps asking me to write his HEA. I will definitely work on that for him once Love Square is released.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I really hope they enjoy the book. I love the feeling I get from a really good story, and I hope that feeling transfers over when they read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment